Friday, December 5, 2014

Adding Another American to the East Midlands

It was crazy to start this post as this past week was the week in 2013 we came over here to look at houses. Now we are quickly entering our year mark...so crazy how time flies!? (Posts: First trip to Derby and First trip to Nottingham).  The Nottingham post was crazy to look at, as a tourist I took a picture of the church we now look out our windows everyday to see! And now the Christmas Market is up, and the other sites I walk by daily. Who knew that something so foreign at one time, could feel so much like home now?

Onto Scott's Visit:

Our friend, Scott, visited us this week in Nottingham after our adventure in London.  Scott was stuck with hanging out with me during the day, exploring Nottingham and surrounding areas.  We spent Monday exploring Nottingham.  I took him around the city, stopped at Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (the oldest inn in England), which is a must for all of our visitors.  We went to the Capital One Arena, where the Nottingham Panthers play ice hockey (Jeff and I's visit here).  We stopped in a local place, called the Pudding Pantry, where I have been meaning to go recently for a cup of tea and coffee.
Great day for some of my favorite British foods and brews

Tuesday, we headed to Derby to see the town and visit Jeff at work.  Afterwards the boys played squash, while I ran a few miles. We all headed out to dinner later that night at Nando's, which is a place all around England, but they have the best chicken! Wednesday was a busy day for Scott and I as we headed to the Nottingham Castle and then to a few breweries around town.  Part of the castle was closed, but we were able to see a few of the great spots, like some war memorabilia and old items that belonged in the castle or during that time period.  It was a little foggy that day, so we didn't have the best views of Nottingham, but we made do! The breweries were great, although we didn't take a tour or anything.  Both places we went screamed "English pub", so at least he was able to get a good feel of the local culture and meet some new people. We headed out for a nice dinner at one of our favorite Indian restaurants, Memsab, which is about a 5 minute walk from our house.  Everyone enjoyed their meals!

 The one good thing about visiting the castle in the winter is that you can ACTUALLY see the castle! Hooray for no leaves!
 The first stop on our mini-pub tour!
Look who finally stopped working to join us for some fun?!

Thursday, we went out to the Galleries of Justice Museum, which I love going to.  It is where the old prisoners were held after convicted.  This building is where all of the hangings took place in the city.  You are given a convict number...which I got the same one...theft of a cow.  Scott and I both enjoyed the people in our group, as they were quite funny.  I think Scott really enjoyed it, as it was very informative and interesting.  Chances are, if you come visit me, I'll take you here as well! ha!
Thanks to Scott for being a trooper and playing along with my photo games!

And since Thursday, was Thanksgiving, we (well, I) made a big meal for the three of us to enjoy.  It was a challenge finding some of the "normal" American ingredients to make all of our favorite holiday foods...but everything seemed to turn out alright. Phew!

We ended up having:
  • Chicken & Stuffing dish
  • Green bean casserole
  • Corn
  • Rolls
  • Salad
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Mulled wine (warm wine with spices)
I know what you're all thinking if you're from the States...where is the PUMPKIN PIE? And if you know Jeff at all, he has to have pumpkin pie during Thanksgiving. Grandma, I know you're reading this thinking..."Jeff normally has his own pie every year, and now he didn't get any?"   Unfortunately, that's the case. I found pumpkin in a can, but couldn't find the necessary spices to actually make the pie. I ended up making pumpkin brownies and cheesecake, which were both good.  We had a great time sitting around the table celebrating the holiday...despite our lack of Thanksgiving desserts. I guess next year we'll just eat twice as many pieces of pie! #watchout2015Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving Dinner! Lots to be Thankful for after the amazing year we have had!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day (Well, my American friends/family)!  We thought about you during this first round of holiday festivities, and we will continue thinking about you throughout the month. 


Onto the next adventure...


No comments:

Post a Comment