Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Shopping, Tea, & Nottingham Markets

The last few days my mom was here we checked off a couple things I wanted to do before I move home.  My mom and I love to shop, especially consignment or charity shopping.  We love the deals! On Friday, I took my mom around Nottingham to about 7-8 charity shops.  We found a couple we really liked and got a few things.  There were a few shops that I have been meaning to go into, but it is just more fun with someone with me...especially my mom!  We found a couple cute tops and pieces of jewelry to add to our wardrobes.

Afterwards, we went to Afternoon Tea.  This was something special I wanted to do with my mom the first time she came over here, but we ran out of time.  We went to this cute little tea house called, Thea Caffea which was elegant and quaint.  If you do not know much about afternoon tea, it is a 2 or 3 tiered cake stand with small sandwiches, scones, and various desserts.  Of course you get a pot of tea with your experience as well.  We sipped on our English Breakfast tea while we waited for our food.  We just got a 2-tiered stand that was filled with cucumber & cream cheese, egg salad, and cheese sandwiches.  After finishing those, we moved to the top tier and had a couple amazing scones and various cupcakes.  It was so nice to have the 1-1 time with my mom and just enjoy this special English experience with her.
"There is No trouble so Great that Cannot be diminished by a Proper Cup of Tea"
 Just two girls enjoying a cuppa...or two
 Close up of the teapot and cups
 Sandwiches, scones (w/ clotted cream & jam), and sweets
Thea Caffea, a hidden gem in Nottingham


We were able to spend Friday night and all day Saturday with Jeff.  We went down to the Nottingham markets that were happening in the square in the city centre.  We never know when there will be tents or events up, as it is always something new each week.  It was neat for her to experience it, as last time she was here the square was filled with the beach (sand, rides, and games).  Of course, it changes throughout the year, and the Christmas Markets were in the same area as well. We were able to shop around, try new foods, and grab some desserts (a selection of fudge & Italian sweets) for after lunch.
Just a little fudge...

Later that night, we went to Brown's, one of our favorite restaurants that is just down the street from our flat.  My mom really enjoyed the restaurant the last time her and my dad were here, so she wanted to eat there again. I think it was the sticky toffee pudding that was calling her name again. So good. We all had fantastic meals and enjoyed her last evening her in England.  Although we took a picture, I am opting out of posting it, because it isn't the most flattering picture for any of us. Ha!

Overall, it was a fantastic 10-days with my mom! I was so glad she was able to come over here and experience it again.  And I know Jeff was glad he was able to spend our time in Lisbon, the weekends, and evenings with her as well. We look forward to seeing you in June, Mom!  Thanks for the brilliant surprise!

On to the next adventure...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment