Sunday, March 30, 2014

Climbin' Peaks

A day filled with picnic in the boot, walking up peaks, stepping in mud, dodging sheep poop, and running from sheep. That pretty much sums up our adventure on Saturday. It took about an hour to get to these peaks and we decided to go to one called the Dark Peak. It was beautiful, and we're excited to try a few more areas in the future.

Our fun-filled day started with a yummy picnic in the boot (i.e. trunk) of our car. Sandwiches, pretzels, Dr. Pepper, & cookies. We were ready to hit the off-road trails after that!

We walked around on a road for a while, until my wonderful husband had the brilliant idea of going off-path. I was on board at first, and quickly began to panic as I felt my whole body sway from one side to the other. I was for sure I was going to be tumbling down the peak at any moment. We would get moving quickly, then we would run into mini-rivers of water/mud. Jeff flawlessly went through them, not me. I managed to step in the deepest part of the mud. My shoe has recovered nicely after Jeff grabbed some grass (carefully, might I add: sheep poop everywhere!) and began to clean me up. We continued on and eventually made it to the top of the peak. 
 The sheep were staring us down...
We made it passed the mud and it finally started to flatten out (hints my smile at that point!). The picture on the right was the small "path" we took to get to the top of the peak. 
Doesn't look too bad at this point, and my sock surprisingly survived! 

Once we made it to the top, we explored and went up higher on some larger peaks. Our legs were hurting as we made it to the top of a few of them.
 
 We made it to the top of all three of those peaks you see! 

We turned back and decided to take another route back down, so we headed to the top of the tallest peak we saw (thinking the path would lead close to our car). The views were beautiful, as you can see so we stopped to take it all in and then found a grassy path to take back down to the bottom. 
 
Behind me is the top of the last peak we "climbed". 
 
 Great day in the Peak District!


Also, Happy UK Mother's Day to all the mums out there, especially our own! We love you!

FYI: DST happened over here now. Indy friends & family we're back to a 5 hour difference. 




No comments:

Post a Comment