Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pisa, Can we Climb the Leaning Tower?

Hopefully, you got my corny joke?...Anyone? 

Pisa was next on our list, and we were only planning on staying there for a few hours.  Our goal was to see a little of the city and climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  Like I mentioned in my last post, I had visited Pisa before but I was unable to climb the tower because we didn't have tickets.  Jeff and I made sure we got tickets this round.

We had about 45 minutes before we could climb the tower.  We visited the church nearby, and took some pictures of the other buildings and of course, the tower.  So, as I had read on the tickets I was not allowed to bring my bag into the tower for safety reasons.  They mentioned there would be a cloak room available, so I just assumed it was inside the tower. Wrong!  After we had walked around, and then stood in line for 10 minutes a man told me I needed to get out of line and put my bag in the cloak room across the lawn.  Just my luck, a huge tour group cut in front of me in line and I had to wait over 15 minutes to give them my bag.  I was freaking out, given our tickets said that we had to be on time, or they wouldn't let us go up.  The tickets were not cheap...
 It is actually difficult to take pictures of the tower as you want to naturally "correct" the lean.  This was one of our better shots.  
The tower!

Luckily, we went on the 12:00 tour, and they let us go up with no problems.  We kept going 'round and 'round to get to the top.  You could definitely feel the lean of the building when you were walking up, and especially at times at the top.  Although, there was a fence that surrounded the area, it still made me feel a little uneasy as I felt I was going to slide off the top.  I did not.  Jeff and I took a few pictures, and enjoyed our time at the top by sitting on the steps.
 Beautiful weather and views!
 "Do not touch the bells"
We made it!

We headed back down, and walked towards the train station as it was already time to go to our next destination.  We knew this was not going to be a spot that we were planning on spending much time.  We enjoyed our visit, and were very happy that we could check "Climbing the Leaning Tower" off of our bucket lists.

Onto the next adventure...


No comments:

Post a Comment