Thursday, February 5, 2015

Farewell Costco

Many of you know, we do our bulk shopping over here at Costco. Not only is it a taste of home aka Skippy's peanut butter and Frank's hot sauce, but it is so much easier to get large quantities of things....obviously. 

We got a membership last January mostly to buy toilet paper, paper towels, soda, beer, and meat.  Ya know, the essentials in life. ha!  The grocery stores over here sell really small quantities of chicken and ground beef.  You can normally only find two small chicken breasts in one package.  Although I have the time, I don't really want to make a top priority to go to the grocery store every day for a year and a half. No thank you, I have better things to do be doing. Plus, I walk to/from the grocery so I can only carry so much per trip.  Excuses, perhaps?
 Lots and lots of chicken.
And the beef

We ended up getting more than just those items, and would go 1-2x a month for our grocery needs.   We found it worked well since it was in Derby. I would make the grocery list and Jeff would pick it all up on his way home. I would still need to pick up things at the local grocery store to make certain meals or things we did not need in bulk. I mean we really don't need a large tub of butter that wouldn't be able to even fit in our fridge. 
 You can see the size of our freezer drawers...small right? (veggies and cheese)

Our membership ran out at the end of the month (January), so we decided to make one last trip to last us the next 4-5 months.  I just finished bagging up the meat to freeze. 20 bags of chicken and 18 bags of ground beef you'd think we were preparing for a snowpocalypse like many are in the states.  Sidenote: We did get some snow yesterday! Covered grounds...really pretty!

Anyway...hoping the meat lasts us the rest of our time here. Not sure it will, which is gross to think about in my opinion.  We also loaded up on cheese, Dr. Pepper, tortilla chips, and bottled water. Hoping those items will last as well, but doubtful on the Dr. Pepper and chips. Jeff...
 
We will miss our Costco trips...or maybe that's just me.  We thought about continuing our membership to use in the states, but the Costco in Indianapolis isn't too close to where we live---not worth the monthly or bimonthly effort. I'll be looking forward to doing the large quantity trips to the grocery store when we move back home, as I do enjoy those outings.  I was talking to my mom yesterday, and we both agreed it may be an odd transition going from the size of stores over here to the massive stores like Meijer and Kroger back home.  I might just stop and stare.

Now what to make with all of this food...Does anyone else have the feeling after going grocery shopping and putting it all away, to just order a pizza? So much hard work and overwhelmingness (yes, I'm making that a word) that you just don't have the energy to cook. What's wrong with me?!

2014 flashbacks about food preparation: Becoming a Local, Eggs, & Food Preparation

Update since writing this post: Our small 3-drawer freezer is filled to the max. So full that one of the drawers was so full its contents froze to the top...which meant it was frozen shut. After about 10+ minutes of sticking a wooden spoon in the small opening and prying it open...we got it open! Did I mention how excited I am to have my large refrigerator and freezer back? PLUS the garage freezer. Ahhhh the food selections, I can hardly wait!

On to our next adventure...




No comments:

Post a Comment