Saturday, February 28, 2015

SURPRISE! It's Me!

I will start off by saying our original plan was to go to Liverpool (which we obviously did...keep reading), but a friend of ours sent us a website letting us know that United was having tickets to the states for $75.  So, on Wednesday Jeff checked it out and got me a first class ticket for $90 to go back home! I was over the moon excited to see family, friends, and new babies that have entered this world since we've been abroad.  By Wednesday night, United had voided all the tickets that were purchased during the glitch, which meant I was not going home on Saturday as planned (which meant no Liverpool).  I was still holding out, but we knew there was no way around it.  Jeff tried calling a couple times, and even some of the customer service people didn't know what was going on... I think the time change worked in our favor for a second. All-in-all, I was super bummed about not going back home...but was very thankful to spend the weekend with Jeff.

The weekend passed, and I was excited we were able to still go to Liverpool and just chill on Sunday.  I was still pretty bummed about not heading home and broke the news to my family and friends that I would not be coming back due to the voiding of the ticket.  Jeff got to thinking, and felt bad for me...so we decided to book a ticket anyway! So on Sunday night, we booked a ticket and drove to the airport only 8 hours later! 

We woke up at 2:30 on Monday so Jeff could drive me to the airport.  It was pretty sad leaving Jeff, given we have not spent a day apart since we moved here. Crazy, huh?  I was in the states by 2:15 in the afternoon on Monday. My dad, Jeff's dad, and a few friends were the only ones that knew at that time I was coming home.  It was all so last minute! I had my own little fan club waiting for me as I came out of the terminal.  My mom surprised me at the airport as well.  It was nice to be in the states, and hear American-English. I immediately fit in again! We then headed to my sister's house to surprise her and her family.  It was especially exciting because she just had her 3rd baby a week and a half earlier.  The look on her face was priceless, and it was so good to see my nephews, brother-in-law, and meet my new baby niece as well.  We were able to hang out for the rest of the afternoon, and then the jet lag started hitting so I headed to my parents for my "home-base" for the week.

Tuesday was filled with another day of surprising someone.  I was able to surprise my grandma, which was hysterical and scary all at the same time. My mom ran some errands with her, and then I my dad and I met her at a restaurant.  I came up behind her and said "Hi Grandma! and she just stared and then my mom said she turned white.  I got a bit nervous...as I didn't want to give my grandma a heart attack! It was so great having lunch with her and spending the afternoon popping into a few stores.  I also met up with her later in the week for brunch. I was able to meet some of her friends and have some quality 1-1 time with her, which I don't often get to do. My mom and I were also able to run some errands during my time.  We stopped by Hardee's and I just started laughing when I was given my medium drink and small fry. The sizes are just so huge compared to English versions. The English-large was smaller than our medium. And the small fries in the states are bigger than the English-large. No wonder the obesity rate is so high in the US.
My grandma and I
Mom modeling the medium and large drinks.

I spent the next couple of days snuggling on my nephews & niece and catching up with my sister. My nephews, who are 4 years old, definitely made me feel like a VIP! "That's Aunt Sarah's seat." "Play with us." "We missed you!" They are really starting to get that I don't live close anymore.  They understand I live in London and have to take a plane to get to their house.  They also asked a lot about Uncle Jeff and Mackey.  It was pretty neat to see their transition from the months I have been gone. Such smart and adorable boys! And that new baby niece of mine, so sweet and go with the flow.  I assume you'd have to be with 4 year old brothers!  I got my snuggle time, and loved every minute of it.  My sister and I were able to spend some quality time together and pick up like we hadn't missed a beat...which didn't surprise me at all.
 Always difficult to make them sit still...
My sweet baby niece

On Friday I borrowed my mom's car to head to Indy to meet some other new additions into the world.  Which sidenote, driving and belting out my favorite tunes felt amazing! I was nervous to drive at first, but it all came back to me!  (Back to the babies) Of my closest 5 friends, 4 of them are having (or already had) a baby while I moved over here.  Great timing, ladies! Just kidding! I was able to meet one of my best friends from work's little girl who was born in December.  It was also great to hang out with her momma as well.  Catching up on all of the things we had not been able to chat about since our last Skype date. It was so great to just feel normal, and be around close friends again.  Next on my stop, was a lunch date with another close friend who had a baby back in October.  I picked up Panera, which I was craving, and hung out with her for a bit.  We caught up and had a great time, while I got to see some sweet baby giggles and smiles from her little one as well. And of course, gossiped about The Bachelor.
I got to meet our close friends' sweet baby girl and catch up with her wonderful momma!

Next on my Friday agenda was one of the craziest surprises. I walked into the elementary school where I taught before resigning.  It was hilarious as everyone gave me a double take, assuming I would be one of the last people to walk the halls or into the building.  One of my close friends knew I was coming, but kept it a secret from the staff and students (who are my former 3rd grade students).  I was able to catch up with many people, give a lot of hugs, and make me miss that place even more! I stayed for about 3 and a half hours, and barely made it down one hallway.  I wished I could have spent more time with everyone.

The last part of my Friday was dinner with Jeff's family.  We had a great time catching up, swapping stories, and enjoying quality time together before I headed back to my parent's house. It was great to swap traveling stories, especially to see pictures of places his grandparents went that we are going to be able to visit in the next couple of months.  Jeff's mom and I also started to discuss her visit in the upcoming months as well.  It was a great time, and I am glad I was able to see them during my short visit home.
 Quality time with Jeff's grandparents
Jeff's sister and mom

Saturday, I was lucky enough to spend the entire day hanging out with my parents.  They humored me by allowing me to hijack their TV during my time there. HGTV was my main channel of choice, because over here home improvement shows are nothing like what we have in the states. I was pretty much glued to that all morning. We headed out for some errands, an early dinner, and some shopping afterwards. I loved having a shopping buddy and seeing the deals, especially at Macy's.  I felt like I was getting quality products (aka all I bought was shoes...) for a great deal.  It is just amazing how much cheaper it is in the states to get these quality items.  We went to the grocery store next where I pretty much stopped and stared. My mom went off on a mission to get what she needed and my dad stuck around laughing at me go on and on about how many options of tomatoes and beans they had.  You laugh, but it is so true! 

Wow, this post is becoming so long...sorry.  I guess you can tell I really needed a trip home!

Sunday was filled with more family time.  As I mentioned earlier, I had brunch with my grandma.  The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent with my parents, sister, brother-in-law, nephews, and niece. All we needed was Jeff there, and I know he wanted to be!  We were able to play, catch up, and spend quality time over dinner and dessert.  I think we were all exhausted after the day was over, especially my nephews you were asleep by the time they got home (20 minute drive).
 Aunt and niece photo
My sister and I with the sweet little addition

Monday, my mom and I went to look for future housing for Jeff and I when we moved back.  It was a good start to figuring it all out.  For those of you who may not know, we rented our townhouse out downtown for two years. The lease is not up until February 2016, so we need some temporary housing until then.  More to come on this part of our move the closer we get to our "deportation". I ended my lovely time home with a big authentic Mexican dinner nearby with my family.  It was a great way to end my holiday back home.

My flight was on Tuesday around 5:00, but unfortunately my flight kept getting delayed to D.C.  I think I received 4 emails of continuous delays. I went to change my flight, so I ended up switching from United to Delta (the irony, right?).  Instead of D.C., I flew into Detroit and then into Heathrow (London).  Like my flight to the states, not many people so I received my own row.  I normally do not sleep much on a flight, but two seats to myself meant I could spread out and lay down.  It is pretty unheard of that I only get through 1 movie on the 6-8 hour flight home. Unfortunately, switching flights meant I missed my train I had set up to get me back to Nottingham.  I had to book another one, as I missed the first one by 30 minutes.
 Last photos at the airport
Farewell for now

I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me when I arrived back to our flat. Jeff had decorated our living room/kitchen area with decor that said "Welcome Back". Pretty sweet man I married.  Jeff's dad was also in town, so we went out to dinner that night. This morning I tried to get myself back on the correct time zone...but failed and ended up sleeping in past 11! It is much harder coming here than going back...wish me luck I get back to normal soon!
 Welcome Back!

On to the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment