Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Day in York

We had an amazing visit to York (England) on Saturday. York is about an hour and a half away, so we took a quick drive up there for the day.  The whole city is enclosed by a stone wall. We were able to walk around about half of it. It is pretty high up, so it had nice views.

 If you look closely, you can see the wall that surrounds the city.

 We walked around the city, which was surprisingly busy. Lots of people out shopping, eating, and having a few beers. We were able to see Clifford's Tower, but decided to not go up in it. We headed straight for York Minster, a beautiful church nearby. We bought tickets to go on a guided tour around the minster. It was really neat, and we were able to see so many more details that way. 
Clifford's Tower
The outside of York Minster, the main entrance, and the side where the tower is located.

After our tour, we climbed 245 stairs in this winding stairwell. It got pretty claustrophobic at times. I think if you would have tested my pulse at one point...they would have made me sit down! I was getting nervous hearing loud BOOMS and not knowing where they were coming from. We got to the top and the booming was the wind hitting the tower and...us. We were blowing all over the place; trying to enjoy the beautiful views. We were able to enjoy the top area before we headed down 245 more stairs.

And I warn you, Jeff had the camera due to me holding on for dear life. I apologize for my soon-to-be photo shoot. 
 
 View from the crosswalk from one tower to another...and yet more steps to go!
 
We made it to the top! Beautiful views from every angle and too many to post them ALL!

Told you, I was giving myself a photo shoot. The wind was out of control! In the second picture, you can see the small area we had to walk when getting to the top and bottom of the tower.

And everyone needs a good laugh...

 I thought Jeff was taking a picture of my crazy hair in the wind...he is so sneaky!
 
We ended our time in York going to Harker's. We went there due it being the last name of a close friend back home. We picked a winner! Jeff and I had some of the best food we've had since we moved over here. We were able to eat, drink a few beers, and watch rugby. I definitely think we'll be making a trip back soon.




2 comments:

  1. Great shots! The tower looks exactly the same as the Leaning Tower of Pisa! I felt the same way too in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, that's awesome! I wasn't able to do the Leaning Tower of Pisa. That is on my bucket list over here for sure! I have a feeling one day you won't be allowed to go to the top of that one, so I need to do it quickly.

      Delete