Monday, January 20, 2014

London Part 3: Westminster Abbey, Streets of London, & the Tower Bridge

As we were waiting for our tour to begin for The Palace of Westminster, we explored for a bit. We saw the outside of Westminster Abbey because for some reason we weren't allowed inside for a self guided tour. Hoping to do that next time we come as well. 

Did I mention we could barely move our legs by the time this trip was over? We wished we had kept track of how many steps/miles we walked. I did a little research and this doesn't include walking indoors (tours, museums, etc) as well as Nottingham walks to/from the station. I think we easily walked over 11 miles. During our walks we took a few pictures of just neat buildings or things we found interesting. 
This was my little research project this morning. Obviously, it is not 100% accurate, as I do not remember every street name. But generally, this was our 11+ mile route.


I was getting disappointed because I was only seeing modern double decker buses. I was refusing to take pictures of them, until this one was quickly approaching so I snapped a picture!
 The River Thames.
 View from the other side of the river.
 I couldn't resist. How can you be in London and not get one of these pictures?
 This was outside of the train station: London St. Pancras Station.
 This was a hotel we found when walking to The British Museum.
I believe this is another rail station, but don't quote me on that!


This is the London Eye. It is a giant ferris wheel. Each capsule can fit a decent amount of people (like a small room). I was doing some research and you can have a specialty capsule (i.e. wine tasting, events, etc). Pretty awesome. We didn't want to wait in line, so once again this is something we'll do next time for sure!

Before hopping on the metro (instead of walking our entire route back...hello 22+ miles?!) we visited the Tower Bridge. This was one thing I was REALLY looking forward to seeing. It closed at 5:30, so we were unable to go up to the top, but this place was beautiful. I'm glad we were able to see it at night. 
 

After the metro ride back, we grabbed some food & beer. Then we hopped on the train and headed home. What a day! As you can tell we had a packed day, but still many things left to do in London. We're so glad it's just a 2 hour train ride away so we are able to check some more things off our London Bucket List. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment